I am at a complete loss for words…
I have no words to describe this cranberry orange banana bread.
None… I’ve been trying since yesterday. Taking bite after bite, racking my brain for the perfect words to do it justice. I.Just.Can’t.
This bread is like… Like seeing your newborn baby for the very first time.
Like… Stepping out of the bitter cold, and greeted by a roaring fire.
Like…Like a forehead kiss from someone you’re deeply in love with.
It’s hard to describe in foodie terms. This bread gives me… feelings. Nothing more than… Feelings…
Feeling of LO-Ok, I’m getting sappy.
I didn’t intend to feel this way. I just wanted to use one of my many bags of dried cranberries.
And the overripe bananas on my counter.
And rum… Well… I suppose rum is the enabler of feelings.
I wanted to get a whiff of freshly grated nutmeg. It does things to me. So does cinnamon. Just so you know…
Orange zest. I love the scent of orange zest, and the brightness it adds to baked goods. Someone put that idea in my head. Thanks co-worker who put the idea of orange zest in my head. You know who you are.
Brown sugar and flour.
A loaf pan… The perfect vessel for what is undeniably one of the best things to hit my palate in a week.
Mmm… What an exquisite bite. Perfect balance of bananas and spice with just the right amount of tart. Those hints of orange zest every couple of bites… Oh, my…
See? Feelings…Out of words… Nothing more than… Feelings.
What a splendid way to feel. Bake this… You need to feel what I’m saying.
Recipe: Cranberry Orange Banana Bread
Source: Adapted from Joy The Baker
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 3 to 4 very ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3/4 light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 cup fresh or dried cranberries (I would prefer fresh, but didn’t have em)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 5×9 in loaf pan, or a smaller sized loaf pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, add mashed bananas, or if you’re lazy like me, let the machine mash them on medium speed. Add the melted butter to the bananas.
- Mix in the sugar, beaten egg, orange zest, orange juice vanilla extract and rum. Reduce the speed of the machine to low.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and mix just until moistened. You should still see dry flour. Fold in the cranberries with a spatula just until incorporated. Be sure not to over mix. Pour mixture into a buttered loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to test other areas of the loaf to make sure. I inserted a toothpick and mistakenly poked bananas which remain wet even after baking.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and then cool on a rack. Slice, and enjoy.
Cooking time (duration): 10 minute prep, plus 1 hour bake time
My rating: 5 stars: ★★★★★ ++