Recipe type: Frozen!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
- 2 pints of blueberries, rinsed
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup light agave nectar ( I went with ¾ cup given that ½ cup wasn’t as sweet as I would like)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional, but kinda recommended)
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vodka (or any booze you have lying around)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or almond milk if going the vegan route)
- Pinch of salt
- Place the blueberries in a small sauce pan. Pour the agave nectar, pinch of salt, and vanilla extract, if using. Stir and place the blueberry mixture on the stove and bring to a simmer over very low heat. Cook until the blueberries soften, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and vodka and allow to cool completely.
- If you wish, puree the blueberries and their liquid in a blender or food processor until smooth, then press the mixture through a strainer to remove the fruit pulp**. Transfer the pureed mixture to an airtight sealed container and chill the mixture thoroughly, preferably overnight.
- When the mixture is thoroughly chilled, fold in the heavy cream, and then freeze in your ice-cream making according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This makes a quart of sherbet – And should last in an airtight sealed container for about a week. That’s if it makes it that long.
- ** I wanted whole blueberries in my sherbet, so I didn’t puree the mixture. I just strained it a bit and added blueberries that remained whole.
Recipe by Mind Over Batter at http://www.mind-over-batter.com/the-june-cleaver-chronicles/blueberry-sherbet/