Super simple no bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars! Get your health-ish on!
Sometimes I consider being really really healthy. You know – Juice 15 days a month, work out vigorously 3 times a day, pick things up then put them down, eat muesli for breakfast, and look down my nose at those who have not adopted my new lifestyle. Because, duh – I am now healthy and buff- Why aren’t YOU healthy and buff…ier?
I consider doing this, this health thing every Sunday night. Then Monday morning rolls around – And who the hell am I kidding? I love sticks of butter. Sometimes I want to dunk my face in my sugar canister. Being dipped in a tub of melted milk chocolate and eating my way out Pac-man style is at the top of my bucket list.
I loves me some cookies and cake. I love SUGAR! Sometimes I dream of a couch made of butterscotch pudding. That is until I take my clothes off for a shower and see dimply thighs. I’m not talking about cute baby dimply thighs – I’m talkin’ poked Tempurpedic mattress that never smooths out.
How do you bridge the gap between your love of butter, your obsession with sugar, and the need for health?
You compromise. You make granola bars.
Its a start.
I’m digging these super simple no-bake-situation granola bars. There’s some stove time, but just until your sugar melts. These granola bars are really easy and can be easily customized.
Want to add nuts? Do it!
Raisins? Go for yours!
Just make sure you reduce the amount of granola to balance it out!
The granola bar base is rice krispies and plain old store bought granola. You can feel free to make your own, but I was feeling totally lazy. The sticky action that holds the bars together is just a bit of butter, sugar, and honey. I added a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter to the sugar mixture for you know, balance plus a bit of protein – And because I caught another glimpse of my tempurpedic mattress looking thighs and was all, UGH – I need to be healthy!
And then I threw some chocolate chips and destroyed the balance of things.
It bees that way sometimes…
Honestly, I will probably never get the hang of this health thing. My thighs? Ugh – They will probably always look cottage cheese dimply.
Its just, my brain can’t help but think: Chocolate chips and an extra stick of butter really bring it all together.
I need a new brain…
Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Unsalted butter - 4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick)
- Smooth peanut butter - 2 Tbsp.
- Packed light brown sugar - 1/4 Cup
- Honey - 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp.
- Plain granola - 2 Cups
- Rice Krispies cereal - 1 Cup
- Chocolate or Peanut Butter Chips - 1/2 Cup
- Line 2 9×5 loaf pans with parchment, lightly spray with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter has melted add the brown sugar, honey and peanut butter and whisk until completely combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Stand back, it may foam a little.
- Add the granola and rice krispies into the saucepan and fold them into the sugar mixture until the granola and rice cereal is completely coated. Fold in about half the chocolate chips (there will be some slight melting).
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and press firmly with a spatula (or clean hands) to completely fill the plan. Top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Allow the pans to site at room temperature for 20-25 minutes until mostly cooled and set. Lift and cut into bars.
Makes about 10 bars