These gorgeous Blueberry Coconut Pancakes are packed with fresh blueberries and coconut flakes, then topped with a blueberry lemon sauce that will knock your socks off!
I don’t have enough breakfast foods in this space, an error I hope to rectify as the summer season is full swing.
I never skip breakfast. Not because it’s the most important meal of the day – No, it’s not that.
I don’t skip breakfast because after sleeping 8 hours I wake up the hungriest of hungry, hungry hippos.
If you’re a morning hungry hungry hippo – Flow with me. Let’s talk about these Blueberry Coconut Pancakes.
So these pancakes, right? Easy enough batter situation. Buttermilk for the fluff fluff factor. A little coconut sugar to make these pancakes round lil’ sweet thangs. Lightly mashed blueberries, some coconut flakes.
Simple, yet I screw up a minimum 2 pancakes before I get into the swing of things. The trick to a good flip is to make sure the surface of each pancake has the maximum amount of popped bubbles. I get overzealous, plus I have a large as hell spatula. Doesn’t always work. Take it from me. Wait for the bubbles.
These deliciously blueberry tart pancakes aren’t topped with maple syrup. No. It’s summer and we’re taking advantage of the berry bounty.
I made a blueberry sauce packed with a pint of blueberries. I flavored said sauce with lemon zest, a generous amount of vanilla bean paste, and thickened with cornstarch.
The sauce is poured semi-warm atop the blueberry pancakes for a blueberry double whammy.
Tart, sweet, chewy from the coconut flakes, and the blueberry punch in the taste buds.
Breakfast. Don’t skip it.
Blueberry Coconut Pancakes
- For the blueberry lemon sauce
- Granulated sugar - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 tablespoons
- Blueberries - 1 pint
- Zest of two lemons
- Vanilla bean paste - 1 tablespoon
- Unsalted butter - 1 tablespoon
- For the blueberry coconut pancakes
- All-purpose flour, spooned then leveled - 1¼ cups
- Coconut sugar - 2 tablespoons
- Baking powder - 1½ teaspoons
- Baking soda - ½ teaspoon
- Salt - ½ teaspoon
- Buttermilk, plus additional if batter is too thick - 1½ cups
- Coconut oil, melted - 2 tablespoons
- Egg, lightly beaten - 1
- Blueberries, lightly mashed - 1 1/2 cups
- Sweetened coconut flakes - 1/4 - 1/3 cup