I melted on my way to work this morning. A puddle in a blue maxi dress and kitten heels stood where I should have been. I shrugged my melted shoulders and flooded into work somehow, where my body was immediately reconstituted by the office building air conditioning.
I checked to make sure my body parts were intact (last time I lost a thumb), and had no gum in my hair before boarding the elevator to the 16th floor.
That was my morning…
Although I’m not one of those chicks who complain about the heat, it is clearly summer; clearer still are my sticky thighs and the clinical strength deodorant in my bag nestled between my Nook Color and the Crazy Glue.
I feel it’s too soon to complain about the heat – So I’ll just think cool and won’t even dream of turning on my stove; bordering on masochism isn’t where I get my kicks. I’m going to sit in my backyard with some nice sparkling strawberry lemonade, enjoy a corn and black bean salad and wait for the fire flies.
The kids will be fooled into thinking its taco night when I wrap this salad in flour tortillas. It’s really vegetarian; gluten free if you omit the tortillas. I’m all about getting my kids to eat their veggies. Score!
Corn and black bean salad is light, colorful and beat-the-heat refreshing. If you have a large spoon, a cutting board and a knife, you have no excuse for letting this salad pass you by. You can put your big person pants on and make a dressing… In seconds!
Did I manage to convince you?
How about hypnosis?
Slogans are inexplicably filling your brain, like:
“I am summer!”
“Make me now without a minute to spare!”
“Beans will keep you regular!”
I’m all for staying regular now… It’s the new black. Staying regular is where it’s at. I over-shared, but I’m cool with it. I also tried to hypnotize you. I’m sorry about that…
Eat corn and black bean salad wrapped in tortillas – Or alongside a grilled piece of chicken if going veggie tonight isn’t your deal. Just.Make.This.
Depending on your knife skills you can have this salad on the table in 10 minutes and be back in front of your air conditioner trying not to melt in no time.
Recipe: Corn & Black Bean Salad
Inspired by: Rachael Ray; Food Network
For the dressing:
- 1/4 -1/3 cup olive oil (I went with 1/4)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 4-5 limes, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon white sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed using a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can no salt sweet corn, drained
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, sugar (if using), black pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic cloves, salt and cayenne pepper. Whisk to combine and set aside. Yay – You’ve made a dressing!
- In a medium bowl, stir together black beans, corn, diced onions, cilantro and tomatoes. Toss with your newly made dressing. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour or overnight to allow the flavors to marry and have corn and bean babies.
- Serve with either flour tortillas, alongside a nice piece of grilled chicken, or on its own.
Add to Favourites